Sights and Experiences to Treasure
Picturesque harbors dotted with fishing boats, meandering rivers, historic sites pre-dating the
Revolutionary War, and bustling classic New England towns create an unforgettable experience for travelers who long to find the traditional Maine way of life.
Your ideal vacation may be a round of golf with an ocean view, a summer crafts festival, shopping for treasures, hiking, swimming, fishing, or just sitting back and relaxing in a quiet place.
Splendid fall foliage and moderate temperatures make the Machias Bay Area an exceptional destination for autumn excursions. Winter brings out the adventurous for cross-country skiing, ice fishing, and snowmobiling.
The University of Maine at Machias offers ornithology
workshops, art galleries, and many cultural programs. Other art galleries, theater groups, and special restaurants provide diversion and glimpses of fine local talent.
Convenient day trips can be made to Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, Campobello Island, Lubec, and West Quoddy Head State Park, where the famous candy cane striped lighthouse is the first place in America to see the sun rise.
Points of Interest
- Roque Bluffs State Park – Roque Bluffs
- Jasper Beach – Machiasport
- Fort O’Brien, Gates and Cooper Houses – Machiasport
- Burnham Tavern Museum – Machias
- Machias Seal Island (puffin tours) – US/Canada
- Campobello Island - N.B., Canada
- West Quoddy Head Lighthouse – Lubec
- O’Brien Cemetery – Machias
- Ruggles House – Columbia Falls
- Downeast Heritage Museum – Calais
- Machias By Petroglyphs - Machiasport
- Bad Little Falls – Machias
- University of Maine Labyrinths – Machias
- Little river Lighthouse – Cutler Harbor
- “Old Sow” Whirlpool - Eastport